The Rope Bridge Uniting Video and Tabletop Games

Today I want to discuss the natural bridge from video gaming to Tabletop gaming, because I think it's a strong one. I've been a gamer since I was very young. I vividly remember my parents inviting people over to play our new Atari 2600, the Space Invaders sound effects drilling into my four year old brain. And then there was Christmas when I was five, when Santa brought E.T. down the chimney. I freaked out. I was so excited, and loved that game despite the fact it was hard as living hell and didn't make sense. I didn't care. Because I was five. But also, because E.T. was mine, and mine alone.

Yeah, this was my jam, okay? Ease up! 

That began a life of gaming for me. Obviously I've dated myself with these stories, but while my parents never touched another video game system, I was hooked from that point forward. Video games were my hobby, my passion.

And I turned that passion into work later in life. From writing video game reviews for multiple sites online to attending E3 as a journalist, and even producing/writing for television shows centered around video games. Yes, I was able to actually make a buck off the industry that took so many bucks from me. And that felt like some kind of validation - see, Mom, it wasn't a waste of time!

I also grew up in a family that loved board games. Not the hard core stuff mind you, but family get togethers always included some Pictionary or Trivial Pursuit as part of the festivities. I then took it a step further and tried to get into some more sophisticated games. I was in my mid teens, and I wanted to play these huge, crazy complex looking games that I saw people playing at the local comic book stores. But I just couldn't get into them then. I was more about video gaming, so I stayed in the realm of casual tabletopping.

Fast forward to now, where my teens are but a blurred memory. And video games have lost some of their luster. The community I used to game with has kind of dwindled and separated. So most of my online time is spent with randos. This can be great fun, but it lacks that social interaction...the familiarity with friends who can joke around with each other while accomplishing their goal. Also, the advent of the open world games just bores me at this point. I desire rich stories, something completely immersive. Playing open world games with 4 million side missions just doesn't jingle my berries. Yeah, I just typed that.

But something clicked for me when I started watching Tabletop on Geek and Sundry. Not that I had forgotten the good times around a good tabletop game, but I just hadn't thought about it. So I eased in with some Catan, some Carcassone, and many other games that started with "C." Once I got my feet wet, it was over. The tangible qualities of a board game mixed with the social interactions and beer (see my previous piece) 'sploded my brain. I dove, and I dove deep into the world of tabletop.

Outstanding bridge-game, although I prefer the Star Trek version (see: nerd)

And it was an easy transition, which I credit that to video gaming. Complexity of rules don't bother me at all. In fact, if there's an immersion factor that comes as a result, I want that manual to be as long as possible. Something I can take to the toilet for a long spell. This is not to say that video games and board games are the same. In fact, they are light years apart in many ways. But understanding and learning the ins and outs of all those video game makes the transition to complex board gaming much easier, in my opinion.

My wife, however, doesn't dive quite as deeply. She was never a gamer, virtual or tangible. And, consequently, the more complex a game...the less likely she is to want to play. She thrives on the casual games, such as Codenames or Sushi Go. And don't get me wrong, I love those games as well for a good beer or bourbon-ridden ruckus. But the games that truly grab me are the ones with theme oozing from their lids. The Mage Knights, the Battlelores, the Marvel Legendaries...the games that suck me into their thematic world and don't let go. That's my jam.

I'm also infatuated with the production quality of games. There is nothing more thrilling than getting a new board game and punching out all the components, then setting it up for the first time. It's exhilarating. As a former graphic designer, I am in love with packaging. I used to purchase movies based on packaging design alone (not something I recommend, btw). The components for board games are so incredibly done these days. That tangible, physical quality of a good board game trumps the electronic one for me, and that even applies to video game translations of board games.

Sure, a nice iOS version of any of my favorite games (Pandemic, Splendor, Elder Signs, etc.) makes life convenient. It's easier to just swipe my phone and dive in. Plus, I don't have to have anyone around to play. But it's just not the same. I'd SO much rather pull out the physical version of the game and play. Well...minus some of the ones that are just too shuffly (looking at you, Onirim). For the most part though, for me, physical > virtual.

So if you're a video gamer that's considering a jump to board games, but you don't know where to start, let me go ahead and highly recommend you just go for it. If it seems daunting, start with some of the "bridge" games, like a Catan or Carcassone, or even a King of Tokyo. These are great to get your feet wet, and aren't overly complex to initially learn. They can take lots of time to master, but they aren't tough to grasp the rules for, and that's key. I'm going to do a piece on "easy games to get your feet wet" very soon, but for now, I say dive. Dive deep into the abyss of the board. That albatross which has become my obsession.

The bottom line, folks: game on. Game the F on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Want to get into TableTop Gaming, but don't know how? I got you!

The Mystical Solo Variant

Everyday is Friday